Tried to go make new friends at Lau's (pronounced low) house tonight. Lau is short for Laurence, which is French and really pretty. She works with me at Harper's and goes to school in Chicago. Her boyfriend is from Georgia but he has all his teeth she tells me. Oh, and he is totally a hipster. We are probably the coolest interns there.
Anyway I'm a dumbass and didn't realize that the last bus back to my quaint little town of Weehawken goes back at 1am. So I go to the city, buy beer and then it's 11:30pm. The city is New York. No way I'm making it to the Upper East Side and back to Port Authority in time. Blowin it already.
I bought beer for some minor who swore he was 21, born in 1988! he says. Oh and he forgot his ID. He was a skinny black hipster. Peace sign scarf. Totally gay. Unveiled the forbidden goods (a sad 6 pack of Bud light bottles) to a group of weirdo youngsters just outside the door of Rite Aid. I made him walk with me to the feminine products aisle.
The good thing about New York is that you can get alcohol at regular ass places. In New Jersey, you've got to go to a special liquor store for delinquents. Rite Aid = Tight Aid.
I have a notebook that I carry around, one of those pretentious moleskines, but things happen so fast I don't get the chance to make a note of them. For school I'm supposed to write down everything I do at work. By lunchtime I can't remember what happened at the beginning of the day.
Today I saw a car wreck, a near full frontal of a highschooler's plaid boxers and beautiful glorious sunshine. These people take Memorial Day super serial so I've got a four day weekend. Tomorrow I'm heading to the city to open a bank account. Then hopefully I'll be heading to the beach for the weekend with Allison, my bestie from undergrad/Tulane.
Quotidian: I get up around 7:15. Walk out the house by 8:28. Catch the 8:35 bus at Highland point and Palisades, at the near corner of the reservoir. Takes about 20 mins to NY in traffic, 10 mins if not. Last stop is Port Authority Bus Terminal, 42nd and 8th. Walk 15 blocks to the Hearst Building. Blocks are the short ones. This is my favorite part of the day. Use my pass to gain entry. 25th floor. Fantastic view of Manhattan. All of this happens by 9:30, when I start my top secret work. Seriously, I'm not allowed to talk about it by contract.
It's late. and I love you.

No comments:
Post a Comment
love you